FFOTB: A Culture

Cultures have norms that make them unique. These norms are also tend to be areas of pride and passion. It’s a place to point to and  say, “See! I am one of them.” Think about all the university fight songs and traditions out there. Or, imagine the many worldly cultures that have unique traditions and styles centered around food. Whether it’s as in your face as Big 12 tradition or it’s as simple as beans and rice, cultural norms are important.

Coach's uniform.

Functional Fitness on the Bluffs has some unique norms that have developed since our inception, too. Though it’s not required or even mentioned amongst students, members will often call, text, or email a coach if they aren’t coming to class. How incredible is that? The level of respect for the program is on par with the responsibilities of an athletic team or work group.

What’s with all the hugs? With the exception of a few specialty hand shakes in the bunch, everyone is greeted with a hug. I don’t know why, but I know I love it and don’t want it to go away. Funny thing is.. it’s not just the coaches fishing to build a(ny) tradition. Students lead the way.

Can you think of any other cultural norms that unique to FFOTB Nation?

Logan Gelbrich

——————-

Thursday’s Workout:

“Follow the Leader”

Complete the following for time:
(with one partner leading and the other following partners complete each movement one after the other, with only one partner working at a time)

5 Buprees
5 Goblet Squats
5 KB Swings
5 SDLHP

10 Buprees
10 Goblet Squats
10 KB Swings
10 SDLHP

15 Buprees
15 Goblet Squats
15 KB Swings
15 SDLHP