Death by “Yes”

*The Route 56 Challenge: Day 7*

I’ve always been good at saying “Yes,” at least to seemingly good things. I never had a problem saying “No” to things that I thought were wrong or clearly bad, like drugs, though. On the surface, you may be wondering, “Well, what’s the point?”

Come to this fitness school, and you might mess around and learn something.

What I’m talking about is when the ability of saying “No,” even to good things sometimes, begins to hinder one’s ability to perform. As I am writing this, I’ve found myself “in too deep,” a bit. There are nothing but great things in my life, for the most part, but there is a lot to manage. It’s no one’s fault but my own. I’m simply connecting this situation to a problem I have of taking on too much.

See, when I was a kid this was even an issue with baseball. I was a catcher for hire in many ways. It wouldn’t be odd  for me to be contributing to 4 baseball teams at once. Someone needs a catcher for a tournament in Florida? I’m your guy. How about an extra double header this Saturday, wanna play? Sign me up.

Don’t get me wrong. My habit of saying “Yes” contributed to my success down the road, but on some level I was spread too thin. And it’s hard to say “No” to good things… great things even. But, I’m aware that believing I’m unstoppable and that I can manage anything and everything is my ego talking. The reality is, sometimes saying “No” would make me  a better son, brother, boyfriend, coach, ambassador, business owner, writer, athlete, employee, and friend. Truth is I’m damn good at everyone of those things, but it kills be to know I could be better.

A outstanding coach, mentor, and friend of mine, Andy, once said it well, “By saying ‘Yes,’ to everything else who is paying the price?” Plus, don’t we all want our Yes’s to really count for something meaningful? Right now I may be devaluing what it means to for me to say “Yes.”

Can you relate? Maybe now is a good time to make sure that not being able to say “No” every now and then isn’t getting in the way of the things you really care about.

Logan Gelbrich

—————–

Friday’s Workout:
With a partner, complete 4 Rounds for time:
10 Ground to Shoulder (135/95)
15 Med Ball Throw to Situp

Then:

FFOTB Baseline

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

[googleapps domain=”docs” dir=”spreadsheet/embeddedform” query=”formkey=dHE1MmlZMXJ4UWdwa1pYdW00aTVOZlE6MQ” width=”760″ height=”1073″ /]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *